Y’all know how much I hate running in the summer heat. It was one of the main reasons why I decided not to train for a marathon this summer and instead stick to half marathons. Having less mileage is really quite glorious; I don’t have to get out of bed at 4:30am to run (even though when I do do that it is still 80 degrees and humid), I don’t have to feel nauseous and light-headed, I don’t have to plan out all my water/gatorade stops. Instead I can run relatively short 8-9 miles outside OR on the treadmill in the nice cold AC.
That said, running in the summer is still kind of a pain in the butt.
Quick tangent: UMMmmmmm I LOVE Pitch Perfect. Ever since HBO has started playing it, I’ve watched it like 20 times. So. Good. Why is it so good? It’s like Bring it On (don’t want to age myself, but I was a senior in high school when that came out) but BETTER. My only qualm? Anna Kedrick is like a 30-year-old playing a college freshman hahaha.
Ok, so with that out there, let me run down my love/hate relationship with running Barton Bella style
1. I hate running in the hot summer months because I feel like my body retains more water and I get all bloated
2. I kind of love running in the summer months because even a short 10 mile run feels like an accomplishment (<–funny how that changes over the winter months)
3. I hate running over the summer months because I have to get up so damn early in the morning to try to beat the heat (and even that doesn’t work!). I’m all like, let me stay in bed and…
4. I kind of love running in the summer months because it keeps me from gaining my dreaded summer weight. Let me explain. Do you know how most people gain the winter and lose in the summer? I’m the opposite. Like to the extreme. My weight fluctuates by a good 10 pounds every year summer to winter. Not sure why this is but I swear I have reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder
5. I hate running in the summer because my pace slows down to basically a snail’s pace and I inevitably don’t want to share my run times/pics (which keep me accountable) with anyone
7. I hate running in the summer because I always think I can continue my race calendar without any problems only to realize later that….I hate running races in the summer
9. I hate running in the summer because sometimes it just feels as bad as this
Alright people, running in the summer: hate it/love it?
Favorite movie right now?
Have a great weekend. Love You Awesome Nerds