Monday Motivation: “Try not. Do, or do not. There is no ‘try‘” –the wise YODA
I woke up this morning on the wrong side of the bed this morning, both literally and metaphorically. Literally because I somehow made it all the way over to the right side (I normally sleep in the middle or toward the left) and metaphorically because I was a grump. OOOOhhh, how I loathe getting up early. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again (and again and again): I am not a morning person. Although getting up early has gotten a bit easier over time, it has never gotten easy. So on top of the fact that I needed to get up early this morning (early being 7:30am), I had a ton of things floating around in my head and on my to-do list that were making me anxious. Here are a few:
Pick Sophie up from the kennel
Go to gym (if there’s time!)
Semester starts today: I should go in to my office and do a little cleaning to start things off right. I should track down some faculty members to talk with and see if I can reconnect with some returning students
Doctor appointment at 1pm to talk about my MRI results and the “floating” cartilage in my knee
Semester kick-off picnic at 4pm
Somehow fitting in some work: putting my syllabus together (my first class that I teach starts tomorrow!!!), finally get to work on my dissertation Chapter 3, track down my advisor, etc….
When I have such a full day sometimes I can get anxious. I think the anxiety comes from the fact that I’m afraid I won’t get it all done. I just need to remind myself that it’s ok if I don’t get it all done. I’ll get done as much as I can!
So I was Ms. Grumpy Pants this morning. But as soon as I started checking things off the list things turned around in a big way. Like a 180. Here’s how:
- Picked up my little curmudgeon at the kennel, aka doggy hotel, and she was a bundle of smiles and wags 🙂
- I hit the gym for a brief but intense workout: 3 mile interval run followed by arm strength circuit (chest, biceps, triceps) and core (sit-ups, planks, etc). A good workout always solves a case of the Mondays
- The weather is gorgeous out today. Sunny and the mid-80s. Now that’s what I’m talking about!!! All the students are back and the campus (it’s grounds actually) is buzzing! I loved the walk from the coffee shop to my office 🙂
- We have a new Einsteins Bagels in the bookstore, which is across the street from my building! I know that to most people this isn’t a huge development. But I’ve dealt with no bagels nearby (except Bodos) for 3 years now. Love it!
- I crossed the first few things off my list already!!!! And guess what? You know how I wrote about being nervous last week because I sent out my dissertation committee requests? I already got two faculty members to say yes! 🙂 Just waiting for one more to respond. Now THAT’s what I’m talking about for a Monday!!